Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The glory of losing your love

The greatest lie implied in the phrase "I love you" is the promise that Love is always eternal. It is, in fact, not. I have loved many times in my life. Many women have been in love with me. Do they love me now, or I- them?

Maybe on some basic level, deep inside me, the memory of that love. But not like we were in that moment. The intensity of that love has faded. Does this demean those loves as somehow less, or not "real" love? Not in my experience. Love almost killed me three times. In the moment, each time it was more important than anything else, even my life. I loved with all my heart - so deeply that I am even afraid of feeling that much love again.

To expect every love you feel, no matter how deeply, to last forever is the grandest of self deceits.

Enjoy your loves while they last. Nurture them and believe in them and they will grow. But don't cast aside love that is freely given to you simply because you suspect that it may not be perfect. Don't walk away from love because you can see that it won't last forever.

One of these days you may find yourself alone and without love at all- and you will wish you had embraced a few more brief moments of love, however imperfect. You will wish you would have let yourself be loved without reservations just to have those moments in time.

Did my loves last forever? No. Does my love, remembered, live on in my heart? Definitely. Would my live have been better without these fleeting loves?

No. A thousand times No. It would be like a life without dreams. My life would be shallow indeed without the glory and the memory of those lost loves.

Kirk 11/17/2010

No comments: