Saturday, April 25, 2009

The attempted feminism of man

Comrade Kevin has some great posts on men trying to fight for women's equality, striving to be a male feminist, and getting accepted by the Female feminists as comrades... (sorry,Kev,that was lame but I couldn't resist)...

Something I'd like to see feminism address

Pramatism might be the better approach

Coda

Hat tip to Liberality for allowing me to re-discover Comrade Kevin's blog. I haven't seen his blog since my HOTRS days.

And since, this is my blog, where my opinion is the Word of God, here is the comment I posted on his Pragmatism post:

In my life, the less you argue with women, the better your life ends up being. Sometimes you can't even agree with them without getting your ass handed to you. Everytime I've told a group of female feminists that I'm a male feminist- I get the raised eyebrow treatment and end up being heaped with scorn and derision that I could ever consider myself as capable of empathizing with women.

So, I just gave up trying to convince them of my pure motives. When in the presence of a group of ardent feminists, I relegate myself to "just a man" status, and when the complex subject of gender equality comes up I don't attempt to insinuate my opinions beyond self-deprecatory comments of mollification. After all, I'm a member of the gender that has caused them so much pain and therefore, no matter what, I'm still "just a man."

Continue striving to be a feminist and fight the good fight for equality. But I myself quit trying to convince them I was on "their side". It doesn't have to be women vs. men, but women AND men together. If they could realize the only people on the "other" side are the men AND the women who believe that certain genders should be restricted on certain levels, this would be an easier task for all of us to accomplish.

3 comments:

Life As I Know It Now said...

I just don't want to get into these conversations because I feel it is a no win situation. I think you said that your own self too ;)

Faded said...

lol... yes, yes, and YES. ;)s all around...

Faded said...

Note: My wife read this and then proceeded to tell me how completely full of shit I am.

...

I had good intentions...?