Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Walled in, walled out

I am so used to trying to be strong- that I cannot even allow myself a moment of weakness. I talked to my cousin Clark, today, hours before his father passed away. He explained that he couldnt feel. I knew exactly how that "felt". Our mothers died last year- two months apart. And now his dad was dying and he was feeling exactly like I am - Wishing he could feel something - other- than this need to stay resolute, this absolute necessity to stay strong in the face of adversity.

One tear is all I could muster today. I want to break down, I need some release. But my self-defense just won't let it happen.

My wife says I am cold.

She don't even know the half of it. I am dead inside, except for those moments that my kids remind me that I am alive.

I despise weakness. I despise losing. But I know I am lost forever if I can't find the strength to cry.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

You are not cold, you are human. We all deal with things differently. You are so strong, and I admire you for that. Dont let someone tell you otherwise.